The Lake Mathews – Estelle Mountain Reserve area includes this vast amount of geological wonder that also provides outdoors’ men and women alike an endless place to hike and camp. Lake Mathews is a large reservoir in Riverside County, CA, situated in the Cajalco Canyon among the foothills of the Temescal Mountains.
Top ten places to hike by Lake Mathews:
· Graffiti Waterfall: Riverside, CA
· Pumpkin Rock Trail: Norco, CA
· Skyline Drive Trails: Corona, CA
· Riverwalk Parkway: Riverside, CA
· Mount Rubidoux Trail: Riverside, CA
· Santa Ana River Trail/Hidden Valley Wildlife Reserve Entrance: Riverside, CA
· Doty Trust Park: Riverside, CA
· Indian Truck Trail: Corona, CA
· Santiago Peak: Silverado, CA
· Challen Hill Park: Riverside, CA
The Lake Mathews – Estelle Mountain Reserve is jointly owned and managed by Metropolitan Water District, the California Department of Fish & Game, the US Fish & Wildlife Service, and the Western Riverside County Regional Conservation Agency.
In a state that brings in millions of people for its beautiful weather, undeniable landscapes, and unique local traditions, California has been in a serious need for an organization like the Western Riverside County Regional Conservation Authority (RCA) to protect and nurture its surroundings. The RCA formed in 2004 to formed in 2004 to achieve one of America’s most ambitious environmental efforts, the Riverside County Multiple Species Habitat Conservation Plan (MSHCP). The Plan protects 146 native species of plants, birds, and animals in addition to preserving a half-million acres of their habitats.
The RCA’s other reserves include:
· Hidden Valley Wildlife Area
· Box Spring Reserve
· Sycamore Canyon
· Potrero ACEC
· The Motte Rimrock Reserve
· The Emerson Oaks Reserve
· The James San Jacinto Mountains Reserve
· San Jacinto Wildlife Area/Lake Perris Reserve
· French Valley Wildlife Area.
· The Southwestern Riverside County Multi-Species Reserve
· Santa Margarita Ecological Reserve
Spend days exploring the areas, the creatures who inhabit the land, and see some of the most unique landforms that California has to offer.
Ayres Inn Corona East is about a half-hour drive to Lake Mathews – Estelle Mountain Reserve, while Ayres Suites Corona West is about a forty-minute drive to the area.