California, and the entire West Coast, has some of the greatest breweries in the world. The state is especially known for its unique IPA brewing, for its clean and dry taste. Don’t miss the chance to try some of the purest hops that SoCal has to offer.
Some of SoCal’s most well-known breweries are:
- AleSmith, San Diego: Still up-and-coming, the brewery offers a rotating draft menu and a variety of beers on tap for enthusiasts to revisit. AleSmith also offers free tours of its brewery.
- Anacapa Brewery, Ventura: Anacapa’s smaller, more intimate-sized brewery not only has great local beers, but also an extensive food menu. Many venture to its outdoor patio that features heating for those cooler, SoCal nights.
- Ballast Point, San Diego: Ballast Point loves to experiment and always offers new flavors to try.
- The Bruery, Orange County: With its oak barrels and steel vats, the Bruery often welcomes lines of visitors. The brewery has a large tasting room with plenty of tables and chairs for people to stay and socialize for a while.
- Stone Brewing Company, San Marcos: Stone Brewing is SoCal’s largest and most widely known brewery. With its very welcoming environment filled with gardens and a large stone fireplace, it is hard not have a great experience. Their beers are known to be heavy and the food is spectacular.
A fun way to explore California’s brewing culture is to visit the area’s many beer festivals. Enjoy music and games with family and friends, all while having a glass of fresh local craft beer in your hand. The remaining weeks in February feature these events:
- Anaheim’s Noble Ale Works, February 20th
- San Diego’s Winter Brew Fest, February 19-20th
- San Luis Obispo’s SLO Craft Beer Fest, February 26-27th
- Santa Clara’s Bacon and Beer Classic, February 27th
Los Angeles itself remains home to several great breweries. To make sure that you thoroughly tackle them all, Social Brew Bus offers both private and public tours. It remains the only all-inclusive brewery tour in LA. With the purchase of a public tour ticket you get to visit three of LA’s finest breweries, including admission to locations that are not open to the general public. Craft beer enthusiasts enjoy a free beer flight at each brewery and cans of local brews during the bus ride. Of course, you do not need to indulge in LA’s purest beers on an empty stomach- the tour offers a gourmet lunch from Mendocino Farms.Social Brew Bus also gives private tours in even more areas than just LA, including Santa Barbara, San Diego, and Orange County.