Bring the family for a day of exploration and wonder at Southern California’s Discovery Cube, the 2013 national medalist for museums and library services. The educational facility invites guests of all ages to come discover in either its Orange County or recently added Los Angeles facilities. The Discovery Science Foundation that funds the facilities runs its programs and exhibits through its four core values of STEM proficiency, early learning, healthy living, and environmental stewardship.
The Discovery Cube offers a rotating basis of events and exhibits, field trip services, assembly programs that challenges children to learn through their hands.
Ongoing exhibits at Discovery Cube:
- Dino Quest: Follow the footsteps of a paleontologist, as you dig for prehistoric bones and track dinosaurs on this outdoor quest.
- Discovery Theater: Visit the Discovery Theater to experience one of its short feature films
- Healthy Kitchen: Visit the Petersonville Healthy Kitchen to enjoy classes and demonstrations from a professional chef.
- Helicopter Tour: While soaring over Orange County in a virtual helicopter, fly from the mountains to the sea and over the Irvine Ranch Natural Landmarks, a biodiversity hotspot located in the heart of Orange County, in order to understand more about their vital impact on the community.
- Inspector Training Course/Rocket Lab: Inspector Training Course, presented by the Orange County Vector Control District, encourages guests go on an adventure in their own backyard to locate and eliminate invading vectors (mosquitoes, rodents, flies and ants) and vector-borne diseases.
- Interactive Exhibits: Discovery Cube’s first and second floors have over 100 hands-on exhibits to explore and learn.
- Mission Control: This immersive exhibit allows curious guests to learn about the wonders of aerospace, and the science behind launching rovers and satellites.
- Planetary Research Station: View the Earth on a suspended, animated globe from a completely unique vantage point.
- Science of Hockey: Created in association with the Anaheim Ducks, learn about the fascinating science behind the world’s fastest sport through hands-on exhibits.
- Take the Eco Challenge: Discovery Cube and OC Waste and Recycling have partnered to bring an environmentally themed exhibition to the Cube.
- Water Gallery: Learn more about one of Earth’s most valued resources – water – especially as California continues to experience one of its worst, ongoing droughts.
Hours to the Discovery Cube generally span from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. daily.
Ayres Hotel & Suites Costa Mesa/Newport Beach is about a 15-minute drive to Discovery Cube Orange County.