Book worms, get your reading glasses and bookmarks ready for the event that has been voted one of LA’s best annual book festivals. The 2016 Leimert Park Book Fair will be held on Saturday, August 20th at the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza.
Cynthia E. Exum originally founded the premier literary event in 2007 with the hope of promoting literacy and education in Los Angeles. Nine years later, the book fair hosts over 200 authors, poets, spoken word artists, storytellers, performers, and literary/educational exhibitor participants. Admission to the event is free and open to the public, so there is no excuse but to enjoy the literary affair.
The annual book fair will feature interactive activities, storytelling, book giveaways, and hands-on projects for children with a Superhero/Comic Pavilion. Guests can also participate in writing workshops, panel discussions, film screenings, theatre performances, storytelling, readings, author meet & greets, spoken word performances/poetry recitals, and live music.
Main Stage Schedule at the Mall Promenade:
· 9:30 a.m.: Musical Prelude with Leimert Park Drummers
· 10:00 a.m.: Kick off the festival with producer Cynthia E. Exum, event co-chairs, Dr. Bernard W. and Shirley Kinsey, co-chair supervisor Mark Ridley-Thomas, honored guests, and spotlight authors. There will also be the presentation of CBLC Award.
· 10:30 a.m.: Spotlight Performance with Inner City Cultural Youth Orchestra
· 11:00 a.m.: Iconoclast Interview with Music Legend Charles Wright and Film Maker Matty Rich, author of “BEV”
· 11:30 a.m.: In Conversation with Book Fair Ambassador, DeVon Franklin and Megan Good – “The Wait”
· 12:00 p.m.: Author Spotlight: “Mysteries R Us”
· 12:30 p.m.: Main attraction of New York best selling author and film producer ZANE! Julie Norwood, Our Weekly newspaper editor, will be the session’s interviewer.
· 1:15 p.m.: Author Spotlight: Afternoon Greeting & Acknowledgement of Sponsors & Supporters
· 1:30 p.m.: Spotlight Panel Discussion entitled “Are We Better Off Today? The Issue of Race, Obama & the African American Community” with Dr. Julianne Malveaux and April Ryan
· 2:30 p.m.: Spotlight Musical Performance with A Place Called Home
· 3:00 p.m.: 3rd Annual Jessie Redmon Fauset Book Awards Presentations
· 4:00 p.m.: In Conversation with Bobby Brown, entertainer and author of “Every Little Step: My Story”
· 5:15 p.m.: Closing Keynote with Ramsey Jay, Jr., author and speaker of “Empowering Dreamers to Become Achievers”
· 6:00 p.m.: Spotlight Performances that is the festival’s tribute to 90s music icons
There are events and headliners on more than just the main stage. The fair will also feature Children’s Village/Reading Corner, Poet’s Stage, Cook’s Pavilion, and Health and Wellness Stage. Take a peek at these other stages’ schedules online.
Ayres Hotel Manhattan Beach is about a twenty-five minute drive to the Baldwin Hills Crenshaw Plaza.